AllRovi is a commercial database launched by the Rovi Corporation in 2011. It combines information and reviews about music and movies from the former services AllMovie and AllMusic.
Reviewers include Jason Ankeny, Roxanne Blanford, Marisa Brown, John Bush, Al Campbell, Eugene Chadbourne, Matt Collar, Mark Deming, Ken Dryden, Bruce Eder, Stephen Thomas Erlewine, Katherine Fulton, Jo-Anne Greene, David Jeffries, Thom Jurek, Andy Kellman, Rudyard Kennedy, Don Kline, the late Cub Koda, Andrew Leahey, Steve Leggett, Jason Lymangrover, Scott McClintock, Greg McIntosh, Opal Louis Nations, Wilson Neate, Heather Phares, Greg Prato, Ned Raggett, Margaret Reges, Eduardo Rivadavia, John Phillip Roberts, William Ruhlmann, Tim Sendra, Michael Sutton, Rob Theakston, Richie Unterberger, Sean Westergaard, and Scott Yanow.
AllRovi's database, which is licensed and used in point-of-sale systems by some music retailers, includes:
- Basic data: names, genres, credits, copyright information, product numbers
- Descriptive content: styles, tones, moods, themes, nationalities
- Relational content: similar artists and albums, influences
- Editorial content: biographies, reviews, rankings
AllRovi also claims to have the largest digital archive of music, including about 6 million digital songs, as well as the largest cover art library, with more than half a million cover image scans.
The website allmusic.com (oft-referred to as "AMG", or All Music Guide) is a sample of what is available in the database. The site was launched in 1995 as an online demonstration for potential database licensees of the breadth of content included in the database.
The AllRovi database is also used by several generations of Windows Media Player and Musicmatch Jukebox to identify and organize music collections. Windows Media Player 11 and the integrated MTV Urge music store have expanded the use of AllRovi data to include related artists, biographies, reviews, playlists, and other data.
AllRovi is also used to provide catalog data, artist biographies, album reviews, related artist information, playlists, and other information in the iTunes Music Store, Zune Marketplace, Zune player, eMusic, AOL, Yahoo!, Amazon.com, and other music stores. Additionally, AllRovi is at the heart of the Naim Extended Music database used by the Naim HDX hard disk player.
The web version of AMG has much more information on most forms of popular music than the 1,176 pages of the 1992 book edited by Michael Erlewine and Scott Bultman (All Music Guide: the best CDs, albums & tapes, published by Miller Freeman Inc., San Francisco), but it is missing much of the information on classical music that appeared in the book. One could look up a composer in the book and identify specific recordings recommended by AMG reviewers, but the website only provides a list of recordings.
AllMovie (previously All Movie Guide) was a commercial database of information about movie stars, movies and television shows. It was founded by popular-culture archivist Michael Erlewine, who also founded AllMusic and Allgame.
The database was licensed to tens of thousands of distributors and retailers for point-of-sale systems, websites, and kiosks. The Allmovie database is comprehensive, including basic product information, cast and production credits, plot synopsis, professional reviews, biographies, relational links, and more.
AllMovie data was accessed on the web at the allmovie.com website. It was also available via the AMG LASSO media recognition service, which can automatically recognize DVDs.
- ↑ [[[:Template:Allmusic]] "Greg Prato"]. Template:Allmusic. Retrieved 2007-03-29.
- ↑ [[[:Template:Allmusic]] "AMG Editors"]. Template:Allmusic. Retrieved 2008-03-19.
- ↑ Michael Haddad (2005). The screenwriter's sourcebook: a comprehensive marketing guide for screen and television writers. Chicago, Ill: Chicago Review Press. p. 333. ISBN 1-55652-550-8. http://books.google.com/books?id=6FXysyLEdoQC&pg=PA333&dq=Allmovie&lr=lang_en&num=20&as_brr=3&ei=krZySLXCKaCmigGJ1vGABg&sig=ACfU3U1iMXjt3Bj9IYN6-k7ZzGSSVhekUA.
- ↑ Malone, Michael (2005). The Everything College Survival Book: From Social Life To Study Skills--all You Need To Fit Right In (Everything: School and Careers). Avon, MA: Adams Media Corporation. p. 281. ISBN 1-59337-334-1. http://books.google.com/books?id=IlEtGM7dlNkC&pg=PT294&dq=Allmovie&lr=lang_en&num=20&as_brr=3&ei=krZySLXCKaCmigGJ1vGABg&sig=ACfU3U0xVj7a25d9Kas0WszA_q6PSA0gcg.
- ↑ Movies and Films Database - AllRovi
- ↑ Welcome to AllMovie